Friday, October 21, 2016

Edmodo: An Online Education Tool for a Learning Community 

I learned about Edmodo when I was required to create a student account for two of my undergraduate courses. I thought that Edmodo provided a great source for teachers to create a forum for students to active learners. I knew how to use Edmodo as a student, not as a teacher integrating Edmodo for a class. I did not know about the many features this app provides to teachers. Students can access Edmodo though the school computers, personal laptops, and free app to know the latest news and assignments for their classes. One great option was allowing parents to have access to the classes because it could contribute to creating a good relationship with parents. They should be aware of their students'' progress and what students had been learning at school. Overall, I enjoyed using this tool and benefits of this app. After I read the two articles recommended in my web tool course and my past experiences using Edmodo, I could share three ideas for using this educational tool in the classroom. 
Image result for edmodo pictureGrade Level: 8th grade
Subject Area: Social Studies 
What students can do with Edmodo:
1. Weekly reflections, students are expected to reply to all posts, especially reflections because students only have to write three reflections per week. Students must write at least 2 paragraphs before the deadline. The idea for weekly reflections allows students to realize what they did right and what they need to change. Students feel motivated to learn and analyze their learning process about concepts, ideas and class activities. The weekly reflections provide teachers with students' feedback and keep/integrate new teaching technologies and strategies.
2. Quizzes, it is great to have the option to create quizzes for students to take in class. Although I encounter some problems when creating quizzes, I like that all quizzes are saved as a collection for teachers to reuse or edit for other classes. It is the tool that enables teachers for assessing formative and summative students' knowledge. I like that I do not have to grade by hand and quizzes are organized in a grade book. Even if students can use their notes or book, they need to know the material prior to taking the test because teachers have the option to set the amount of time for quizzes. Overall Edmodo quizzes are a paperless option for teachers to assess students' progress and students get feedback on what they do not know or they must study more before unit tests. 
3. Essays, Edmodo allows students to upload documents. One activity for students using Edmodo is Literature Circles. Teachers create reading groups where students can share their thoughts and discuss what they read in school and at home. Students must provide text evidence and page numbers to support their opinions in the group. Literacy circles represent an opportunity for students to engage in reflection through reading and responding to literature. Students must share  their work based on their roles ( illustrator,summarizer, discussion director, and literary luminary)  prior to having an in-class reading discussion.

3 comments:

  1. Ms. Moreno,

    Thank you for the information you provided in your post, it is a great way to see how Edmodo actually works in a classroom. It's great that you have had the opportunity to use it, as you are able to share this valuable and informative information with us today. I plan on using Edmodo in my classroom, I teach 5th and 6th grade Science. Seeing what you are posting here, helps me get somewhat of an idea of how students react to it and that it actually does appear to work. I'm excited to use it, and Thank You for your informational post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jessica,
    I agree with the reflections piece. Students do learn from reflecting on their work or someone else's. It is important that students understand that in order to reflect, you must have input first. This is a great accountability learning experience.Great ideas! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    I liked your ideas, they are awesome and I actually plan to use some of them inside my 5th grade classroom. The idea of using Edmodo for essays is a great idea, especially how you stated in using it as a group discussion on a certain book. That way, they don’t only discuss face to face, but also interact and share their thoughts through technology. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete